Thursday, October 12, 2006


Over the years I've put up quite a few signs in Mystic - the business community there has been very receptive to the kind of work I do, and I enjoy working with clients who are willing to make a significant investment in the image their business projects. Mystic is a major tourist destination, so creating a sign for the Visitor Center at the Mystic Railroad Depot was a great opportunity to showcase the kind of work I do.

There are very few jobs that have no limits. When dealing with business clients there are always issues with design or budget - and in creating the depot sign I didn't want to have restrictions or make any compromises. So my first order of business was to approach the Chamber of Commerce, which was overseeing the Depot restoration, with an offer they couldn't refuse - I would donate the sign, free of charge. My only stipulation was that I had complete control; I would submit my design sketches to show the Depot Committee what I had in mind, but would not accept any changes or seek any advice. The proposition was essentially "take it or leave it".

This sign has just about all the bells and whistles. Hand carved raised dimensional letters, raised panels with incised hand carved letters, a carved compass rose, 23k gold, sterling silver and copper leaf, and a green crushed-glass smalt background. Lots of dimension, lots of gold, lots of play of light and shadow, very tactile. The Depot committee got all they could have wanted and then some.

At the time I did this job, five years ago, I valued it at $5000. Replacement value today would probably be a bit more. It's just a number; what I get out of this is having created a great sign that greets thousands of visitors to Mystic, and to have done exactly as it should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home